- A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.
- Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.
- After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder.
- After some time, no monkey dare to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.
- Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up. After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though never knew why.
- A 2nd monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The 1st monkey participated on the beating for the 2nd monkey. A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating), and this pattern was observed repeating…
- What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.
- If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder….. I bet you the answer would be…. “I don’t know – that’s how things are done around here” Does it sounds familiar?
- “When you know for yourselves: These are wholesome; not blameworthy; praised by the wise; undertaken and observed; lead to benefit and happiness having undertaken them; abide in them.” - The Buddha (Kalama sutta)
- "Only two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein
- Do not assume that….
• It is only monkeys behave that way.
• There are proven mechanisms to manipulate you too as monkeys !
- Who have
• Those who dominate the world politics
• The marketing and advertising
• The faith based believes
• The education system
• The so called ‘popular culture’
• And many more…..
- Think ….
• Merely follow what the others do, does not necessarily mean you are smart.
• What if the majority of them are trained monkeys?
• Dare to be different !